| ITU-PITA Workshop on Enhancing Access to Submarine Cables in the Pacific
Organised by PITA and ITU, this workshop was held at the Holiday Inn in Suva, Fiji on 29 July to 02nd August, 2017.
Arising from the growing number of initiatives, projects, and emerging issues of submarine cable connectivity and access by the small islands states in the Pacific, the objectives of the workshop in working with member countries and industries were to:
- Hold a stock take of submarine cable access situation in the Pacific, and provide to members a better understanding of the scope, key challenges, issues and requirements;
- Build skills and raise awareness in the area of enhancing access to submarine cables for Pacific Islands Countries,
- Understand the ongoing developments in relation to providing submarine cable access to Pacific Islands Countries, and
- Enhance partnerships in the area of providing international high speed access to the Pacific
Topics and activities covered at this workshop are shown in the Agenda and Program available here
The workshop was attended by 92 participants from 19 Pacific Island countries and Australia, New Zealand, USA and Asia.
to view pictures of actions, negotiations and videos
1. Government of Australia
2. New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs
3. Sponsors at the workshop, and
4. Participants and countries participating at this workshop who had funded their own costs, and provided values to the workshop